Paris, 20 August 2007
EFITA newsletter / 324 / European Federation for Information Technology in Agriculture, Food and the Environment
The "Charolais" challenge (Direct from Charolles - Burgundy – France) on your ag web TV channel
1 September 2007
You will discover the final presentation of the most beautiful animals (bulls, sheeps).
See: http://www.sati.tv at 2 p.m. (Central Europe Time – GMT-1)
Contact : Julie Desquinabo
Mél : Julie.Desquinabo(a)cote-dor.chambagri.fr
Welcome to the end conference of the Euracademy Observatory -project: “The European observatory of lifelong learning in rural areas: The Role of ICT in Meeting the Needs of Small Enterprises”
7 September – BRUSSELS - Belgium
The focus of the conference is to present the latest information and encourage the discussion in European context on the possibilities of ICT-supported training as part of lifelong learning, particularly for rural SMEs and micro-enterprises .The aim is also to present the results of Euracademy Observatory (http://www.euracademy-observatory.org) and stimulate international co-operation on the issues raised.
The conference will be addressing policy makers as well as education and enterprise development professionals. It also offers an exciting opportunity for updating knowledge and expanding networking with fellow professionals throughout Europe.
The conference is organised by European Forum of Technical and Vocational Training (http://www.efvet.org) and Euracademy Association (http://www.euracademy.org) and is co-funded by the European Commission, Directorate General Education and Culture, Leonardo da Vinci Programme.
To register to the conference, contact EuroObservatory(a)nortcoll.ac.uk. The registration deadline is 28th of August 2007.
Tentative programme can be found from: http://ruralia.sjoki.uta.fi/hymakes/Koulutus/tentativeprogramme.pdf
Contact : Anne MATILAINEN
CTA - Technical Centre for Agricultural and Rural Cooperation
CTA is an ACP-EU institution working in the field of information for development. We operate under the ACP-EU Cotonou Agreement and our headquarters are in The Netherlands
Contact: Clare PEDRICK
Rural radio resources kit
Any radio stations based in Africa with a program on rural development, agriculture, environment or natural resources management can receive for free 5 times a year an information pack.
CTA's Spore bulletin
CTA's information bulletin Spore, in English and French, and Esporo, in Portugese, are published every two months.
These 16-page bulletins carry feature articles, news items, information on forthcoming courses and conferences, news of CTA's activities, book reviews and descriptions of information sources.
Contact: Clare PEDRICK
XML and exchange of Agricultural Information
The recent discussion on Agricultural XML is very much in line with the work we are currently doing. As part of its strategic framework, the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) has been working on developing semantic standards for agriculture-related metadata description and exchange since early 2000. The Agricultural Information Management Standards Website is an interactive medium which provides agricultural information managers resources related to standards and vocabularies in different formats (XML, RDF, OWL, TBX, etc.), as well as tools for processing and creating metadata and aiding in the building of interoperable information systems. The goal of the AIMS Web site is to act as a dynamic "meeting place" for facilitating discussions within the agricultural community and serve those who want to manage their information in a standardized manner while minimizing the duplication of effort. It brings together information management standards from different partners in the community and serves as a one-stop access point.
For more information, please visit the AIMS site at: http://www.fao.org/aims/.
Contact : Gauri SALOKHE
- Cigarette: A pinch of tobacco rolled in paper with fire at one end & a fool at the other.
- Love affairs: Something like cricket where one-day internationals are more popular than a five day test.
- Marriage: It's an agreement in which a man loses his bachelor degree and a woman gains her master.
- Divorce: Future tense of marriage.
- Lecture: An art of transferring information from the notes of the lecturer to the notes of the students without passing through "the minds of either".
- Conference: The confusion of one man multiplied by the number present.
- Compromise: The art of dividing a cake in such a way that everybody believes he got the biggest piece.
- Tears: The hydraulic force by which masculine will-power is defeated by feminine water-power.
- Dictionary: A place where divorce comes before marriage.
- Conference Room: A place where everybody talks, nobody listens & everybody disagrees later on.
- Ecstasy: A feeling when you feel you are going to feel a feeling you have never felt before.
- Classic: books which people praise, but do not read.
- Smile: A curve that can set a lot of things straight.
- Office: A place where you can relax after your strenuous home life.
- Yawn: The only time some married men ever get to open their mouth.
- Etc.: A sign to make others believe that you know more than you actually do.
- Committee: Individuals who can do nothing individually and sit to decide that nothing can be done together.
- Experience: The name men give to their mistakes.
- Atom Bomb: An invention to end all inventions.
- Philosopher: A fool who torments himself during life, to be spoken of when dead.
- Diplomat: A person who tells you to go to hell in such a way that you actually look forward to the trip.
- Opportunist: A person who starts taking bath if he accidentally falls into a river.
- Optimist: A person who while falling from Eiffel Tower says in midway "See I am not injured yet."
- Pessimist: A person who says that O is the last letter in ZERO, instead of the first letter in word OPPORTUNITY.
- Miser: A person who lives poor so that he can die rich.
- Father: A banker provided by nature.
- Criminal: A guy no different from the rest... except that he got caught.
- Boss: Someone who is early when you are late and late when you are early.
- Politician: One who shakes your hand before elections and your Confidence after?
- Doctor: A person who kills your ills by pills, and kills you with his bills
Contact: Alecos TRINGIDES
About the EFITA mailing list
You can use the efita moderated list (>3500 subscribers) to announce any event / product / web site / joke (!) related to IT in agriculture, environment, food industry and rural areas.
If you do not wish to receive our messages, please see: http://www.efita.net to remove your E-mail address from our mail list.